This recipe is intended to use jumbo shrimp but I wanted to use up my smaller shrimp in the freezer instead. I’m not much of a seafood person but the kids and my husband like shrimp so I gave it a shot!
|Recipe: Linguine with Shrimp Scampi||
- Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 pound linguine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 1 pound large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 lemon, zest grated
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds
- 1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily! Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat, add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.
- When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.
I used frozen shrimp for this recipe because it’s cheaper and more convenient. This recipe calls for a lot of lemon. My husband and I felt like the lemon was a little over powering so if you don’t like lemon to overpower, you can cut the 1/4 cup (2 lemons) lemon juice into 1/8 cup (1 lemon). You can add more garlic in place of the lemon.
I decided to add steamed broccoli to the dish because it looked so boring, LOL! It added some nice color and flavor to the dish.