Food these days is very scary. I never thought that until I actually checked out our food system. There’s even a trick when it comes to foods that are labeled Organic. The only foods that you can be certain are not GMO are those that are labeled “Certified Organic.” These farms and processors are inspected yearly by USDA-approved independent certifiers. Certified organic means the food cannot be grown using synthetic fertilizers, chemicals, or sewage sludge and cannot contain genetically modified organisms or be irradiated.
Other Organic Terms Include:
- 100% Organic means that 100% of the ingredients must be organic.
- Organic means that the product must have at least 95% organic ingredients.
- Made with Organic Ingredients means that the product must have at least 70% organic ingredients.
I’ve been slowly converting our household to Organic. I don’t currently buy Organic meat because it’s so expensive and I think it’s a shame that they take advantage and charge so much.
Do you ever wonder what those stickers are on your produce? Here’s an easy way to find out what the PLU (Price Look-up Code) means.
- Conventional produce has a 4-digit PLU code that begins with the number 4.
- Organic produce has a 5-digit PLU code that begins with the number 9.
- Genetically modified (GMO) produce has a 5-digit PLU code that begins with the number 8
There is a current move to have GMO foods disclosed. Many people don’t want GMO food according to a recent poll. The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) tells us that, “Several animal studies indicate serious health risks associated with GM food”.
This is why it’s most important to stick with Organic. I know it’s easier said then done because the cost is outrageous. I’m working on getting Organic coupons together for you so we can save money that way. They do exist, you just have to hunt for them a bit :)!